What's new

Yawning to equalize pressure

DanielDmn

We all know that it's necessary to compensate the abrupt change of barometric pressure, when you're taking off or coming to land, in some way. However, my body has this weird mechanism of starting to yawn to do so. It doesn't mean I'm tired, so my question is, in first place, if that's healthy and if it's something I was supposed to be doing at all, and secondly, if that wouldn't bother any potential hirer leading them to think I'm always fatigued.

It may be an unnecessary concern, but thank you!

Last edited:

321Captain

Yawn, chew gum, plug your nose and blow. It’s all Valsava. I wouldn’t yawn in the face of the person interviewing you though. You shouldn’t have to do the Valsava maneuver while sitting for an interview at a constant pressure either. If you are doing an interview while climbing or descending, then that would be one hell of an interview.

Gamatech

Most recommendations I've heard mention yawning to equalise the pressure. Some people, especially cabin crew, say to plug your nose and blow. But the long term health implications of that means they usually say it with a disclaimer XD

321Captain

Well, you don’t need to blow super hard. When I was in the navy, the flight surgeon had you do it like I described so that he could see your eardrum move.

Zeede

Administrator
Staff member
But the long term health implications of that means they usually say it with a disclaimer XD
Uh, if you're worried about the long term health implications of equalizing pressure that way, you're doing it wrong.