What's new

Why is Airbus better than Boeing?

I'm sure people would care, but they do have their own tastes. You are right, though, that you would not want to end up in an NTSB report period, especially not due to distraction. I get the feeling that would be a hard one to explain in future interviews.

Sean

Wouldn't agree or disagree with your hypothesis, as it's still up for debate. I watched Boeing morph from a company that wanted to make the best large aircraft in the world into a company that doesn't care what it makes as long as its shareholders extract their profits. Surest and fastest way to kill a company's good name, that. So maybe the relative quality is less about how great Airbus is, and more about how low Boeing has fallen.

MsHighAltitude

Yeah it's unfortunate that Boeing's corporate culture has deteriorated over the years, evidenced by moving the HQ to Chicago, manufacturing to Charleston, the MAX fiasco, etc.

That being said, not sure why people keep bringing up this debate. At the end of the day, if Airbus is better than Boeing, all things considered, market forces will dictate and no commercial operators will buy Boeing. The fact that we see aircraft from both manufacturers rolling off the assembly line shows one is better than the other in certain aspects and vice versa, and there's no clear winner between the two. As for the pilots, they might have their own personal preferences, but they fly whatever they get assigned to. No airline pilot would say, "if it's not Boeing I'm not going!"

Sean

At the end of the day, if Airbus is better than Boeing, all things considered, market forces will dictate and no commercial operators will buy Boeing.
True that. Unfortunately, the cost of entering the market to compete with Boeing and Airbus is prohibitive, giving them the monopoly and guaranteeing they will both settle for mediocrity. If one of them wins in the fuel efficiency category, that's likely to weigh more heavily on the customer's balance sheets than the relative comfort of the bus dri -- er, flight crew.

MsHighAltitude

True that. Unfortunately, the cost of entering the market to compete with Boeing and Airbus is prohibitive, giving them the monopoly and guaranteeing they will both settle for mediocrity. If one of them wins in the fuel efficiency category, that's likely to weigh more heavily on the customer's balance sheets than the relative comfort of the bus dri -- er, flight crew.
Hahaha I guess all things considered but not always equally weighted. Well, the U.S. government will never let Boeing fail due to the company's strategic importance--it would be unthinkable not to have a domestic manufacturer of commercial aircraft.

p.s. Has the relative comfort of the bus dri -- I mean flight crew ever affected the operator's balance sheet? 😂 They got people locked in from day one with the whole seniority system.