What's new

What Happens?

TLPierce

Really enjoy the videos and have learned a lot, and I'm not even a pilot. But here's a question I'm curious about. When your dealing with pilot deviation, severe mistakes, or even defiance. What happens to these pilots? Fines, suspensions? I heard one just a few days ago where the ATC was just doing his job and the pilot was not only rude, he was flat out defiant. When the ATC told him he was giving him a number to call the pilot flat out said he was refusing to call. What happens in those situations?

Zeede

Staff member
Really enjoy the videos and have learned a lot, and I'm not even a pilot. But here's a question I'm curious about. When your dealing with pilot deviation, severe mistakes, or even defiance. What happens to these pilots? Fines, suspensions? I heard one just a few days ago where the ATC was just doing his job and the pilot was not only rude, he was flat out defiant. When the ATC told him he was giving him a number to call the pilot flat out said he was refusing to call. What happens in those situations?
They open a report and you could get a stern letter from the FSDO, a fine, a suspension or some combination of those.

They have the tail number from ADS-B so it's not like you can just pretend you weren't flying.

Sonerai

Oh you have a " wanted poster" put out in every airport and post office, just like the good old days

Siris

As Zeede said, though there are time when you can defy the ATC such as in an emergency. Often if a pilot wants to challenge an ATC call you'll hear them ask to have the tapes marked.