What's new

United outsources jobs, offers triple pay

321Captain

I’ve been off since the 19th of December. I’m scheduled to go back to work on the 14th of January. I have been called every morning, starting on the 20th of December by an automated system asking me to fly for double pay. They obviously need pilots to pick up trips. The omicron variant is running pretty hard through the airlines presently. Not just pilots, but also flight attendants. I think it will shake itself out by the end of January.

Last edited by a moderator:

affinity4aviation

Outsourcing jobs of unvaxed people
You are too funny. Outsourcing mgmt. jobs to India + outsourcing the catered meals. More people could bring their own snacks, food + non-alcohol drinks, rather than complain there was no meal or drink service on a short flight, or that the meal wasn't up to their liking. You can't expect a top-notch meal on an airline, with a few exceptions, but they do their best, due to pandemic cost containment. It's practical, not culinary fare.

Last edited:

affinity4aviation

No jab no job? United is also offering pilots triple pay to fly in January.
They allegedly furloughed pilots, some retired early, some had huge reduction in hours. May I ask a silly question? Why do they need to offer triple pay if so many pilots need work? Is it due to some having the virus or having other jobs to survive their cut in hours? Did many quit? They don't want to work holidays? Quarantine time was reduced by the CDC, but perhaps not for the airlines?

Last edited:

MsHighAltitude

Administrator
Staff member
Ok so they furloughed pilots, some retired early, some had huge reduction in hours. May I ask a silly question? Why do they need to offer triple pay if so many pilots desperately need work? Is it due to some having the virus or now having other jobs to survive their cut in hours? Did many quit? They don't want to work during the holidays??
A lot of them have to quarantine due to covid.

affinity4aviation

I’ve been off since the 19th of December. I’m scheduled to go back to work on the 14th of January. I have been called every morning, starting on the 20th of December by an automated system asking me to fly for double pay. They obviously need pilots to pick up trips. The omicron variant is running pretty hard through the airlines presently. Not just pilots, but also flight attendants. I think it will shake itself out by the end of January.
For Dan T. You obviously are motivated, and that will serve you well. You also need to plan out your goals. You don’t just go from zero to airline job. It takes time and planning. The good people on this site can guide you through the things that you will need to do each step in your progression. But it does require a huge amount of investment in money and time and study to get to a seat in an airline cockpit. Totally something that you can do, but I think you should have a look into the details before just changing careers.
Why are the airlines so desperate for pilots, if so many allegedly got furloughed + need work? Is it the virus, the holidays, or that many had to get other jobs + are now not as readily available?
I rem. when Peter got furloughed by TWA long ago, he made sure to keep his spot + wrote aviation books for income + was a flight instructor. He said once you're in, you don't want to jump ship + lose your seniority.

Last edited:

Sonerai

Bottom line is they do not need the money, No money and you can not survive. Oh I know you could live in the mountains and hunt to eat, but most are not up to that now

affinity4aviation

Bottom line is they do not need the money, No money and you can not survive. Oh I know you could live in the mountains and hunt to eat, but most are not up to that now
Senior pilots don't, but the ones with less seniority earn less + might need the $. Sr, captains do well enough for my friend Captain Karl with AA, now retired, to buy a private jet! Captain Ron retired from Eastern + bought N.E. Aircraft Sales + sold it for a good profit. A lot of them get into other businesses. Peter of Mentour was furloughed + set up his websites to survive + said it fully supports his family. He wants to fly less, but he's also a line check person, + they need his skills. Kelsey has a second income with his videos. You generally don't get uber rich being a commercial pilot, yet it's a good job that pays well, with great perks. Private charters are getting more business: no masks + hassle free. Sounds like a great way to fly if you can afford it!

Last edited:

Sonerai

They must not need the money because some have another gig. I always had to work to survive, but I guess there are people who do not need the income just to live

affinity4aviation

The CDC reduced quarantine to five days, but for the airlines it might still be 14 days of quarantine at home + staying in their hotel room? Cathay Pacific is temp. moving some of their staff to the U.S.. to reduce quarantine time. Maybe some on alleged furlough or reduced hours are flight instructors or have other businesses. The # of flight cancellations due to a shortage of staffing is concerning. Every time I see the news, it's more cancellations due to shortages. It seems the whole paradigm was not well thought out. There's risk involved either way. They can rapid test the pilots prior to flight, + they can have pilots wear a mask until they get in the cockpit. Skip the quarantine, to reduce shortages? Many U.S. airlines are surviving off the gov't taxpayers. Some airline staff won't want to keep riding the wave of uncertainly.

Last edited:

Plague

Why do they need to offer triple pay if so many pilots desperately need work?
I imagine the pilots that left (what, a year or more ago?) will not have current [anything] that's needed.
So there would be a big cost and time to get them back on line ... by which time this wave of covid may well be waning.
So, to me, it makes sense to just bribe all the currently available resources to max out their hours.

Sonerai

Well the airlines survive off the taxpayer not the gov't and why would a pilot wear a mask to the cockpit? Do a mask work? If so why are the tyrants demanding shots? If shots work, why is a mask needed?

321Captain

The airlines in the US didn’t furlough. They were paid with taxpayer dollars to keep the pilots on the property. There was a huge drop off in the need for pilots when we were in the middle of 2020, and several airlines offered early retirement packages. That reduced the number of pilots on the property. More junior pilots were retained and paid, but were not in a flying status. Kind of like being furloughed with pay. When demand returned, those pilots were given training to get them back to currency and put back on the flight schedules. During the just finished holidays, most airlines were in a decent staffing situation, but the Omicron variant reared its ugly head. This caused a big problem with pilot and flight attendant staffing. That is why we saw United offering triple pay.

321Captain

The pilots who took early retirement are not coming back. They are no longer on the seniority list. They are getting paid around 60% of the salary that they were making when they took the early out. Most of the guys were within 3 years of mandatory retirement, so there wouldn’t be a practical reason to come back.