What's new

Truly random video to watch on your next layover: analysis of marine anchorage off the coast of OC

Siris

I think I may have met this guy when I did my maritime training years ago but was only passing. Can't remember though it's been over ten years.

Sean

Yeah, and I thought all the hours of circling that used to be the norm during the '70s was bad *cough* JFK LGA *cough* -- those freighters drift off San Pedro for weeks before they can finally dock and unload. No set berths for anchorage while they're waiting. Have to remember that next time I'm in the penalty box at KORD waiting for a gate.

MsHighAltitude

Staff member
I heard there are now some 70 container ships outside of POLA/POLB and the average wait time is 3~4 weeks? Haven't been out there recently but the two oil platforms are perfect for 8 on pylons.

Last edited:

Sean

"Containergeddon" in progress and here's the lovely heart-warming story about one ship that wisely chose to go to San Diego instead of waiting up north. :p -- the story inspired Sal's new video (watch?v=gsBIQIBavms) about a Prime charter from "China" (Dachan Bay near Shenzhen) to Houston. Talk about the slow boat from China. At least he isn't predicting that Prime will be putting its logo on a fleet of ships, but it looks like they're getting tired of sharing, now they should get smart and see if SD can save Christmas for them. I suppose the bottleneck equivalent to San Pedro would be PANC? Or is it RKSI?

MsHighAltitude

Staff member
The fact that the U.S. can’t live without stuff from its alleged biggest national security threat is somewhat disconcerting (and kinda ironic). But we are paying with money that’s worth less and less so it’s all good? 🤷🏻‍♀️😂

Sean

Ach, as someone said in a different thread, it's one thing to build all-new factories, airports, and container ports from scratch. It's quite another to maintain and renew them 25 to 50 years later. The US believed its own myths and now someone else is eating their lunch. Wait awhile and someone else will be eating that guy's lunch. Sure, it's not pretty to be on the receiving end but "interesting times" and history books are like that, we all keep repeating the mistakes of the past because there's no equivalent to the NTSB for "governments". But y'all might want to learn to use kph, km and L, and at least speak Hanyu fluently enough to understand ATC and maintain your situational awareness. It's not fun to be totally dependent on ATC's English when you're flying over Hubei and the soft brown stuff hits the rotating wall.

MsHighAltitude

Staff member
Oh man, just like English, it’s one thing to speak Mandarin fluently and another to use it in an aviation setting! 😂

Technically we are eating the world’s lunch because the US dollar is the reserve currency. The country does have some issues it needs to work out but I believe it’ll manage. 💕🇺🇸

Siris

Part of the problem is limited deep water ports on the west coast, more options on the east to offload and the fact there isn't enough going out. Trade off containers are cheap as hell now so you can do some fun buildings with them if you need too. So how about that bar? :p

Sean

Yep. Waiting. NYT has a story about the Port of Savannah. They can offload but there's nobody to haul the containers to their destination. Must be all the trucks rolling in and out of the airports, right? ;) Though looking at all the empty flights headed west through PANC, partly because the parts needed to build the return cargo are sitting offshore waiting to be unloaded, or stacked on the docks waiting to be trucked along, might give someone pause. Anyway, I'm more impressed by the sites Sal keeps sharing, it's back to trying to sip from a firehose, a lot to unpack.

Siris

Yep. Waiting. NYT has a story about the Port of Savannah. They can offload but there's nobody to haul the containers to their destination. Must be all the trucks rolling in and out of the airports, right? ;) Though looking at all the empty flights headed west through PANC, partly because the parts needed to build the return cargo are sitting offshore waiting to be unloaded, or stacked on the docks waiting to be trucked along, might give someone pause. Anyway, I'm more impressed by the sites Sal keeps sharing, it's back to trying to sip from a firehose, a lot to unpack.
Yeah Southport lucks out as it has a railroad that runs right into it. Savanah is better for the pub crawl and drinks anyways though :p

Sean

Hmm, I think container ship crews don't get much shore leave, so they probably don't notice the difference. It's less glamorous than flying ACMI, right? :)

MsHighAltitude

Staff member
Definitely not the same vibe when you say, "I'm a pilot" vs. "I'm a.... (deck officer? sailor?)" even though the uniforms are almost the same. :p

Sean

I suppose so. However, for every one of the fancy hats, there are hundreds of worker bees without whom the whole enterprise would grind to a halt, bless them. Imagine what the job would be like if the pilots had to do their own loading -- oops, back to the regionals :)

PS -- Just think about it. Some woman in uniform goes into a bar, says she's a pilot, and someone asks, "What airline?" She says, "Atlas." Imagine the Cockpit Confessional, starting with, "Never heard of it. Is that a foreign carrier?"

Last edited:

MsHighAltitude

Staff member
PS -- Just think about it. Some woman in uniform goes into a bar, says she's a pilot, and someone asks, "What airline?" She says, "Atlas." Imagine the Cockpit Confessional, starting with, "Never heard of it. Is that a foreign carrier?"
Please go on. I’d like to hear the rest of the story. 😄