What's new

Sunwings Airline: YUL to CAN: Maskless partiers: Sharing bottles of Grey Goose, vaping, dancing on seats/ in aisles.

affinity4aviation

Dec. 30 Canadian Sunwings flight YUL to CAN:
A group of Quebecers, an 'invitation-only group,' of social influencers + reality tv folks, chartered the flight. They were maskless, vaping + drinking Grey Goose from the bottle dancing on their seats + in the aisle, "while partying the entire flight,." 4 hour+ 55min. nonstop. The flight attendants avoided the cabin most of the trip, due passengers refusing to follow regulations. The airline canceled their scheduled charter return flight, due them refusing to agree to the regs + wanting meal service that was not agreed to. Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said their unruly behavior was "a slap in the face to airline staff" + their online videos have been removed. (Was Sonerai a pilot onboard?:ROFLMAO:)
The airline personnel said, "This is how some people are dealing with Omicron in our industry." The Prosecutors Office has the files/ videos + is deciding how to proceed. A potentially expensive lesson for violating federal laws + for ignoring the flight attendant's safety edicts! The new travel co. was selling bottles of liquor onboard.

Last edited:

Sonerai

Lol lol, not the pilot. I was in the back pouring drinks. Great time and the PM just wished he was there , but since he had not paid, he would not allowed to be on. YOU missed a great time

Roichi

I don't get it.
When you have unruly passengers, even at charter flights, in this dimension, the captian should have landed at the next airport and have them arrested. Why fly 5 hours with them? They are a safety risk after all.

Roichi

Usually you pay upfront with these charter contracts.
Well at least in the private aviation business.
I doubt other airlines will do things differently.

Plague

I don't get it.
When you have unruly passengers, even at charter flights, in this dimension, the captian should have landed at the next airport and have them arrested. Why fly 5 hours with them? They are a safety risk after all.
The behaviour might not have got going till a fair way through the flight, and the crew probably decided it was simpler and easier to just continue. They presumably had hotels, etc, booked (and were maybe looking forward to some time off of their own at that destination), so if there wasn't any immediate danger, diverting would just have been very inconvenient.

affinity4aviation

I don't get it.
When you have unruly passengers, even at charter flights, in this dimension, the captain should have landed at the next airport and have them arrested. Why fly 5 hours with them? They are a safety risk after all.
The flight was paid for + diverting is expensive, time consuming + disruptive to the staffs schedules. The airline + several other airlines refused their return trip. A fine + charges are under investigation. They are banned. You can't divert every flight with unruly passengers. The Captain would've if it was a dangerous situation, but partying was not a threat to safety. Turbulence could've
made it a safety factor while they were crammed in the aisle dancing. Sounds like fun!

Last edited:

affinity4aviation

The behaviour might not have got going till a fair way through the flight, and the crew probably decided it was simpler and easier to just continue. They presumably had hotels, etc, booked (and were maybe looking forward to some time off of their own at that destination), so if there wasn't any immediate danger, diverting would just have been very inconvenient.
Well said. The f/a were trying to deal with them by avoiding them, since they refused to cooperate. They were wise to protect themselves from a potential altercation, as this was a group trip. of young people. After landing there was an investigation started. A fine of up to $5,000 per violation is being investigated + potential charges are pending, ie. no masks, dancing+ drinking in the aisles, etc. They insisted on a meal for the 5- hour return flight + other rules waived, but the airline wouldn't comply, so their return flight was cancelled. Sounds like rookie mistakes by the brand-new travel company in charge of this group.

Last edited:

Plague

They were wise to protect themselves from a potential altercation, as this was a group trip.
That's a good point actually. It sounds like the passengers were mainly just high spirited (and/or drunk), but if they had started a diversion it might quickly have turned ugly.

affinity4aviation

That's a good point actually. It sounds like the passengers were mainly just high spirited (and/or drunk), but if they had started a diversion it might quickly have turned ugly.
Exactly. Nothing dangerous took place, + who is going to put oneself in the middle of an unruly group that's drinking🥳 ? That's potentially putting oneself in harms way. Had they diverted the group, they would've rebelled. Best to deal with the consequences once they've safely landed.

Last edited:

Sonerai

Gosh, you folks write like a bunch of spoilsports. I can not imagine hanging out with you at a party, lol. Just sit in a corner 6 feet apart with a mask on. Fun???

Sonerai

Oh, I was not clear. When I am a passenger on a com flight, I do follow the rules( mask, etc). I do not make any trouble. As I am a pvt. pilot, when I fly as a pic, no mask is required

Plague

This incident made it onto the BBC News main page today ... must be a slow day.
Not much detail on what actually happened, but what did jump out at me was that the fire and brimstone being poured out by the 'authorities', politicians, etc, and most of the news article, is about the breaching of covid rules - nothing about endangering the aircraft. Seems to be just another "One rule for them ..." situation.
Would it have made the news in 2019?

I almost feel sorry for the student who won the trip on Instagram but tested positive while there and is now having to isolate near Cancun and pay for that and her flight home (or maybe a Greyhound).

affinity4aviation

This incident made it onto the BBC News main page today ... must be a slow day.
Not much detail on what actually happened, but what did jump out at me was that the fire and brimstone being poured out by the 'authorities', politicians, etc, and most of the news article, is about the breaching of covid rules - nothing about endangering the aircraft. Seems to be just another "One rule for them ..." situation.
Would it have made the news in 2019?

I almost feel sorry for the student who won the trip on Instagram but tested positive while there and is now having to isolate near Cancun and pay for that and her flight home (or maybe a Greyhound).
The student prob'ly had to sign a waiver of being able to sue them for any reason, so her unexpected expenses are all hers. Not the anticipated dream trip to beautiful Cancun! Hopefully they give
her another free trip for good PR! It's a new travel co. + this was the owners first trip that he planned.

Last edited:

Plague

It's a new travel co. + this was the owners first trip that he planned.
I may have been quite mislead by the media circus, but from the quotes of his I saw he didn't seem remotely professional - 'wishy washy' was what came to my mind.

I wonder if he is someone who was 'stranded' by the pandemic and decided he fancied being a trip organiser. There are a lot of small businesses like that just now - not all will be here in a year's time.

I don't wish him ill but it's one of those jobs with a lot of responsibility, high expectations from your customers and lots of people in the chain who can mess your plans up.