What's new

Smart Ass instructors

Sonerai

No, you were correct - early on they said they didn't know, which is reasonable.
I imagine they've now had a chance to clean a bit of the mud off and get a better look at it - maybe got a partial on a serial number or something
Ok, thanks

Sonerai

Oh I did tell that to a female flight instructor I had. I only flew with her one time, but not because of my statement

affinity4aviation

With all due respect, it already is pretty darn hard to become an instructor.
Yes. I respect and realize that a plethora of skills, focus, hard work and time are required and a certain intellectual and situational awareness aptitude. Perhaps the actual 'inspirational, positive teaching with patience' part, could be emphasized more for those who may seem to have that as a bit of a weakness, despite their many other expert flying skills. It's understandably quite challenging become a CFI. (One of my majors was Human Development. You learn various teaching styles and how different people learn in different ways, ie. some people are more visual, some more hands-on, etc.) I wonder if CFI's are taught this during their training, as it could help them gear their edicts to what a particular student needs to learn the most effectively. Only here have I heard of students having instructors who were allegedly not patient enough, or didn't seem to enjoy teaching, which was quite surprising to me.

Sonerai

I doubt they were taught such skills when I started( no, not with the Wright brothers) and probably not in general. Hard to do? Of course and a lot of self drive is necessary. I was lucky with instructors. With the exception of my up to solo guy and one other that I flew 2 times with, I had a different instructor each time and one time only. Maybe they could not stand me. The up to solo guy was so laid back and he would even smoke in the plane. I had one instructor fall asleep one time too

affinity4aviation

I doubt they were taught such skills when I started( no, not with the Wright brothers) and probably not in general. Hard to do? Of course and a lot of self drive is necessary. I was lucky with instructors. With the exception of my up to solo guy and one other that I flew 2 times with, I had a different instructor each time and one time only. Maybe they could not stand me. The up to solo guy was so laid back and he would even smoke in the plane. I had one instructor fall asleep one time too
Interesting! You learned to fly in the military? If your safety isn't at stake and you can wake the instructor up, falling asleep is not reported, right? (My dad and Peter taught me a lot and let me fly, yet it wasn't official lessons. Taught me how to land in case of an emergency.) They said to always have a Plan B, and be aware of where you can land.)

Sonerai

Not in the mil. The fellow fell asleep on a return from a cross country before I started solo cross countries. I turned off the radio and I made a great soft landing because I wanted to get out of the plane with him still asleep. He woke up at the landing and we never talked about it. Not to brag, but before solo, the instructor asked me if I was taking lessons at another field and not putting the time in my log book. The guy would say he would demonstrate something and I would say no, let me try and I could do it, not perfect yet, but with a little practice I was smooth

Zeede

Administrator
Staff member
You learn various teaching styles and how different people learn in different ways, ie. some people are more visual, some more hands-on, etc.) I wonder if CFI's are taught this during their training, as it could help them gear their edicts to what a particular student needs to learn the most effectively.
Yes, FOI or Fundamentals of Instruction is a required module for all prospective CFIs, unless they are already an accredited teacher.
Only here have I heard of students having instructors who were allegedly not patient enough, or didn't seem to enjoy teaching, which was quite surprising to me.
The problem in aviation is that there is always someone willing to look the other way for money. My CFI had a student who just couldn't see risk, and so they refused to keep training him. He somehow got himself a PPL at another school.

Generally though, the CFIs who are only there to build hours and don't give a crap about their students generally don't get too much repeat business. And yet, there are flight school owners who will hire CFIs like this. Should they? No, but somehow they slip through the cracks.

affinity4aviation

Yes, FOI or Fundamentals of Instruction is a required module for all prospective CFIs, unless they are already an accredited teacher.

The problem in aviation is that there is always someone willing to look the other way for money. My CFI had a student who just couldn't see risk, and so they refused to keep training him. He somehow got himself a PPL at another school.

Generally though, the CFIs who are only there to build hours and don't give a crap about their students generally don't get too much repeat business. And yet, there are flight school owners who will hire CFIs like this. Should they? No, but somehow they slip through the cracks.
Thanks for your honesty and insider knowledge! My friend who's a CFI through a university program, has several who lack the aptitude, motivation, etc. and their gov't sent them to the school. He speaks the truth and weeds them out. Safety comes first.

affinity4aviation

Like the flight attendant trainees in my class in MIA who got drug tested again and they failed the test. They immediately got kicked out of our program. If you don't get an 'A' on every test, you are immediately kicked out. The instructors mitigate risk and take their roles seriously. Only the best make it through the program and they're extremely strict. You live in a bubble for six weeks of studying and testing.

Bernie Fritts

One benefit to being an accredited teacher. I hope to one day become a CFI or at least a ground instructor and being able to skip this will just save time. I currently teach at a college but have taught in middle school (ugh) and high school.