What's new

Plane hit by train on (road) crossing

Plague

I can't say this pilot was really lucky ... that would have been stopping about 20ft further on.
Plane hit by train
(Reuters today)

I just noticed checking that link that it doesn't seem to have the video. I'm not sure if you need to register or go direct to Reuters to see that.

Roichi

You can just check the twitter link. There is a video there, if you are into bleeding people getting dragged away.

I wonder if noone informed the train company to stop the train.

Plague

I wonder if noone informed the train company to stop the train.
That can take a while, so they might have but it was too late.

Given the manpower that seemed to be there I wonder if they could have just pulled the whole plane off the tracks with the pilot inside. Might have been quicker.

Also noticeable was the absence of the classic Hollywood fireball, given that the plane had only just taken off and was probably full of gas. (Unless it came down because he'd forgotten to fill it up.)

Roichi

Well a passenger train like this has a few hundred tons of mass. And the plane about half a ton. So yeah. Not surprising.
Usually the stop distance for trains is a few hundred meters to some kilometers, depending on weight and speed.

Plague

Shouldn't the title of this thread technically be a plane hit by a train, not the other way around?
You're right. I typed it correctly in the link but then did the title and had a senior moment it appears.
I've edited it now.

Plague

Crazy how the train just kept going as if nothing happened.
As Roici says they are heavy and they have reinforced cabs to protect the driver while ploughing through cars, trucks and other assorted stuff people put in their way. And sometimes other trains.
That aluminium airframe would barely scratch the paint. Actually, I was just looking at a still image and it's broken the drivers windscreen - you can see little glass particles flying off.
The guy filming from down the road was a bit Darwin i thought, but maybe physics isn't his strong point. He's lucky the nose of the plane was off the track as the engine would have made a very exciting projectile.

Last edited:

Plague

Train aside, it's pretty impressive that the pilot managed to land on the tracks--not exactly smooth surface.
I'd assumed he landed on the road and ended up on the crossing, but a bit of Google mapsing suggests he was out from Whiteman Airport. The/a rail track runs alongside the runway, so it does seem more likely he put it down on the tracks, presumably because they were clear but adjacent roads had traffic on them.
In which case he was perhaps lucky to end up on a crossing where he was easily accessible to aid.

Plague

Can anyone think of a time (outside Hollywood) where trains, planes and automobiles(ish) have actually come together?

Zeede

Administrator
Staff member
I'd assumed he landed on the road and ended up on the crossing, but a bit of Google mapsing suggests he was out from Whiteman Airport. The/a rail track runs alongside the runway, so it does seem more likely he put it down on the tracks, presumably because they were clear but adjacent roads had traffic on them.
In which case he was perhaps lucky to end up on a crossing where he was easily accessible to aid.
Yeah, he was out of Whiteman. I have a few friends who fly out of there.

affinity4aviation

That can take a while, so they might have but it was too late.

Given the manpower that seemed to be there I wonder if they could have just pulled the whole plane off the tracks with the pilot inside. Might have been quicker.

Also noticeable was the absence of the classic Hollywood fireball, given that the plane had only just taken off and was probably full of gas. (Unless it came down because he'd forgotten to fill it up.)
Time was of the essence + their concern was to get the pilot out STAT! That's one lucky aviator! Hope he buys the quick-thinking officers dinner. What an unexpected way for a potentially beautiful airplane trip to quickly end. Will be interesting to hear if it possibly was fuel contamination or if it threw a rod.

Last edited: