What's new

Pilot Fatigue

Plague

'Zero covid' strategy is a pipe dream, as you know.
We know now that it is, at least for the forseeable future, but 18 months ago it was a reasonable target to at least aim at.
But once the scale, spread and characteristics became better known and vaccines became available, most of the world pivoted to a 'have to live with it' plan (I'm not sure which way NZ is going now). Having brainwashed their population into believing they could eliminate it China has stuck to it's zero strategy even after vaccine rollout and now can't pivot without huge loss of face.

Plague

Surgical masks are far less effective than N-95's
It depends what you are trying to achieve. The problem as I see it is that governments (that promote mask wearing) have failed to properly explain that aim, and of course fb, twitter, etc, have gladly filled the vacuum.

N95 should be 'better' at protecting the wearer, but only if fitted properly (forget about having a beard) and are even more uncomfortable than the usual ones. They may protect others from 'you' a little better, but if they have a valve they can be worse than a surgical mask.

affinity4aviation

It depends what you are trying to achieve. The problem as I see it is that governments (that promote mask wearing) have failed to properly explain that aim, and of course fb, twitter, etc, have gladly filled the vacuum.

N95 should be 'better' at protecting the wearer, but only if fitted properly (forget about having a beard) and are even more uncomfortable than the usual ones. They may protect others from 'you' a little better, but if they have a valve they can be worse than a surgical mask.
N95's work well, (not the fake, cheaper ones from China). They fit tight + can cause intermittent headaches. PPE wasn't made for comfort! U.S. gov't + news agencies have touted, ad nauseum, that "masks are to help slow the spread." They neglected to factor in the percentage that wear them incorrectly or reuse 1- time- use masks, so their efficacy is near null, but they are fulfilling the mandate! It's why IMHO surgical masks are overrated; operator error is huge. Watch people.

Last edited:

Plague

They fit tight (sans beard!), + can cause intermittent headaches, as you're getting less oxygen over an entire shift.
That's the thing - they are meant for professional use, not just to stop the average joe spraying anyone he's talking to.
I can't even wear an ordinary surgical mask for more than about 30 minutes as the elastic pressure hurts my ears (never mind the steamed up glasses), so I have a selection of alternatives for longer sessions like air travel.
I probably couldn't stand a tight N95 for more than 10 minutes.
I'm hoping to live long enough to not need the damn things at all, but the anti-vaccers seem to be trying to stretch it out as long as they can :mad:

affinity4aviation

The mutations aren't helping, + there will always be the Aaron Rodgers of the world. Willful independence is understood, + that fact that he's healthier than many people, maybe he doesn't feel it he needs an immunization. Some people's anti-gov't + anti-employer mandates feel smothering to them, along with wearing a mask. However, there's a potential human cost + the dynamic is constantly changing. It will eventually resolve itself.

Last edited:

Sonerai

Wear one if you want. Get the shot if you want. Do not force me. If mask work, why the shot? If shots work, why a mask? Silence?

MsHighAltitude

Administrator
Staff member
Wear one if you want. Get the shot if you want. Do not force me. If mask work, why the shot? If shots work, why a mask? Silence?
You get the shot so you are less likely to end up on a ventilator (or six feet under); you wear a mask so you are less likely to pass the virus onto others. The former you do it for yourself; the latter you do it for others. Two different things.

Plague

You get the shot so you are less likely to end up on a ventilator (or six feet under); you wear a mask so you are less likely to pass the virus onto others. The former you do it for yourself; the latter you do it for others. Two different things.
It's so simple isn't it.
But so many people can't, or just won't, understand it that I really do despair for the future of humanity.
We build these amazing flying machines (getting back on forum :) ) but then use them to transport idiots and disease all over the globe :-(

affinity4aviation

I get jealous of pilots' min rest regs. In healthcare, they can work us 20 out of 24 hours.
It's a beast, but I bet some pilots do not always get their fully required rest time, esp. pilots whose airlines are based outside of the U.S. No system is perfect.

Last edited:

Brongaar

Had an idea of what the USDOT Pilot HoS are, what I worked with 3 pilots doing oilfield work, I know me being a ground pounder, the Trucker HoS is less restrictive, but it's still there.

affinity4aviation

We know now that it is, at least for the foreseeable future, but 18 months ago it was a reasonable target to at least aim at.
But once the scale, spread and characteristics became better known and vaccines became available, most of the world pivoted to a 'have to live with it' plan (I'm not sure which way NZ is going now). Having brainwashed their population into believing they could eliminate it China has stuck to it's zero strategy even after vaccine rollout and now can't pivot without huge loss of face.
Zero was never realistic. Viruses are contagious + easily spread, + unlike most bacterial infections, an antibiotic does not work on a virus, (ie. like the diff. between a bacterial vs. a virial sinus infection).

Last edited:

Plague

Zero was never realistic.
We eliminated the smallpox virus and, but for religious nutjobs, would have done for the polio one too, so it wasn't entirely crazy for politicians and plebs to think/hope that we could do that for covid too.
I don't know if the scientists ever thought it likely.

Zero is probably technically 'possible' but practically, politically and financially it is unlikely to ever be achieved, or even attempted.

I actually doubt we could eliminate another 'smallpox' now, given the attitudes of so many people.

affinity4aviation

We eliminated the smallpox virus and, but for religious nutjobs, would have done for the polio one too, so it wasn't entirely crazy for politicians and plebs to think/hope that we could do that for covid too.
I don't know if the scientists ever thought it likely.

Zero is probably technically 'possible' but practically, politically and financially it is unlikely to ever be achieved, or even attempted.

I actually doubt we could eliminate another 'smallpox' now, given the attitudes of so many people.
Salk Institute in La Jolla, CA where in 1957 Jonas Salk created the first effective polio vaccine, was near Green Hospital where I worked. His achievements are outstanding. We need more brilliant researchers like Salk to solve this virus chaos + the erudite research teams there are diligently working on it.

Last edited: