What's new

Job hunts

Siris

So as I am sure I am not the only one and the pandemic has made things a pain to look and do the usual forms of networking at the airports, I wanted to post up and share a few places I've found to look for jobs especially as a low time pilot. If anyone knows any others that would be greatly appreciated.

Indeed - halfway decent seems more flooded with drone positions though
JS Firm - purely aviation focused but not a lot for low hour pilots here
pilot career center - seems pretty baren really for the low time pilots but at least you're not sorting through a lot of trash either

I've tried ziprecruiter and Glassdoor as well and they both seem to be just absolutely worthless for the search.

Zeede

Yeah, job search places tend to just show stuff that I don't nearly have enough hours for.

MsHighAltitude

How about instructing? I feel the flight training scene is back with a vengeance. Well flight schools that cater to the locals in socal weren't all that affected in the first place. But you know it's really picking up when you start to hear foreign students on the radio, and occasionally approach goes, "I have no idea what you are saying" after 3 tries. 😂

Siris

Yeah, job search places tend to just show stuff that I don't nearly have enough hours for.
Or in the case of things like zip recruiter I search pilot and I'm getting Wendy's and CDL-A trucking jobs. Only odd ball I've seen like that else where is Indeed has spit at me a river pilot job which, ironically, I've actually at one point been qualified for but still isn't aviation.

How about instructing? I feel the flight training scene is back with a vengeance. Well flight schools that cater to the locals in socal weren't all that affected in the first place. But you know it's really picking up when you start to hear foreign students on the radio, and occasionally approach goes, "I have no idea what you are saying" after 3 tries. 😂
I am actually starting my CFI soon but I'm not going to fully commit in one direction, run the hunt and keep on working on my next rating basically. Hopefully one pays off.

MsHighAltitude

It is a naval term. A pilot is someone to guide a ship through difficult waters. He comes on board when the ship need to pass them because he is an expert for this specific part of water and guides the captain and the ship safely through. They are mostly used in harbours but sometimes in rivers and canals too.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maritime_pilot
oh so that's what the position is called. In my home country they are called "port lead" or "port guide" (literal translation). Funny now think of it, I've always lived in a port city and my parents worked in the maritime industry. Guess I UPgraded from water to air. :)

Siris

oh so that's what the position is called. In my home country they are called "port lead" or "port guide" (literal translation). Funny now think of it, I've always lived in a port city and my parents worked in the maritime industry. Guess I UPgraded from water to air. :)
If you look at the boats that run them out to the ships waiting it will actually say "Pilot" in big letters on the side of it. Like in aviation, maritime terms are fairly standard world wide. Only major difference is in the US vs Europe the channel indicators are reversed.

MsHighAltitude

If you look at the boats that run them out to the ships waiting it will actually say "Pilot" in big letters on the side of it. Like in aviation, maritime terms are fairly standard world wide. Only major difference is in the US vs Europe the channel indicators are reversed.
Interesting! Next time I'm out in the Long Beach (Port of Long Beach) practice area doing S turns or turns around a point near the breakwater I'll see if I can spot one! 😆

I heard the pay is quite decent. What are channel indicators?

Siris

Interesting! Next time I'm out in the Long Beach (Port of Long Beach) practice area doing S turns or turns around a point near the breakwater I'll see if I can spot one! 😆

I heard the pay is quite decent. What are channel indicators?
Channel Markers, just buoys or post with signs marking (in theory) navigable paths through water. As an east coast sailor I learned never to put total faith in them though thanks to shoaling.