What's new

I'm a Student Pilot with an Assignment to Interview a Regional Pilot

Starke

Hey there! My name is Stephen and I am a Private Pilot and student at Utah State University working on my Instrument rating. In one of my aviation courses they asked us to find a professional and ask them a few questions about the industry I am hoping to enter in. My goal is to fly for a regional down the road, so if there are any regional pilots who could spare a few minutes we could even just ask and answer questions right here in this forum. Thanks in advance if you have the time to help me out.

I'll go ahead and post my first question here:

What is the best thing I can do as a 141 student to prepare for my first regional job? Should I prioritize, for example, getting my CFII and MEI? Should I get a high altitude endorsement? (All these are electives at my school, which of course costs extra $$$).

Aerotrinamic

CFII is a good one to get and it's cheaper. It's gonna be good to have solid instrument skills. Don't get the high altitude for the regionals. Nobody requires it

Starke

Thanks for the advice. It seems like most students who hour build through the CFI route mostly have single engine hours. Should I be chasing as many multi engine hour opportunities as I can?

Aerotrinamic

It depends whether the times are good for pilots or bad. Until Corona it was fine to just have the minimum multi time before regionals. I don't know yet how that will change or not when hiring resumes