What's new

Hey! I am in a rather unusual situation here. Read on to find out!

I was born in the US, and so I am a US Citizen. I was brought to India by my parents at 7 months of age and have never come back. I have been keen on getting into flying (commercially) for a fairly long time now and want to come back to the US for that. I have been explaining my situation through email, specifically to AA Cadet Academy (AACA) as I need some good financing options. AACA's loan and also ATP Flight School's loan require a credit score/history and I do not have that.
I am completing a 3-year Bachelor's Degree at an Indian University this July and am considering to transfer to a University in the US and later on learning to fly. What do you people out there suggest?
Like most of you, I do not want to get into much debt before starting flight school.
Thanks! :))

MsHighAltitude

Hello and welcome to the forum.

For starters, see if you can get a part-time job now and save up some money for flight training. Once you transfer to a school in the U.S., open a credit card with whichever bank you choose to have a relationship with. The bank will most likely ask for a security deposit (like 500USD) since you have no credit history. Use the credit card for your expenses so you start building your credit history--don't go on a shopping spree though. Remember to ALWAYS PAY OFF THE BALANCE IN FULL.

Alternatively, if you have relatives here in the U.S. who are willing to co-sign your student loan, that might be an option too.

Good luck!

Hello and welcome to the forum.

For starters, see if you can get a part-time job now and save up some money for flight training. Once you transfer to a school in the U.S., open a credit card with whichever bank you choose to have a relationship with. The bank will most likely ask for a security deposit (like 500USD) since you have no credit history. Use the credit card for your expenses so you start building your credit history--don't go on a shopping spree though. Remember to ALWAYS PAY OFF THE BALANCE IN FULL.

Alternatively, if you have relatives here in the U.S. who are willing to co-sign your student loan, that might be an option too.

Good luck!
That is great! Do you have any idea how my Indian Degree would be considered by airlines?

MsHighAltitude

That is great! Do you have any idea how my Indian Degree would be considered by airlines?
I would say everything comes down to supply and demand. If the airlines have a pool of equally qualified applicants to choose from, it's not unreasonable to assume that they would start with those who got their degrees in the U.S. If there's a shortage of pilots, it probably won't matter as much. However, since you have U.S. citizenship, why not make yourself a bit more competitive by getting a 4-year bachelor's degree in the U.S.?

I would say everything comes down to supply and demand. If the airlines have a pool of equally qualified applicants to choose from, it's not unreasonable to assume that they would start with those who got their degrees in the U.S. If there's a shortage of pilots, it probably won't matter as much. However, since you have U.S. citizenship, why not make yourself a bit more competitive by getting a 4-year bachelor's degree in the U.S.?
Yes! I have applied to a few universities and will be working on an engineering major, most likely. Would my major make a difference to the airlines or flight schools?

I was born in the US, and so I am a US Citizen. I was brought to India by my parents at 7 months of age and have never come back. I have been keen on getting into flying (commercially) for a fairly long time now and want to come back to the US for that. I have been explaining my situation through email, specifically to AA Cadet Academy (AACA) as I need some good financing options. AACA's loan and also ATP Flight School's loan require a credit score/history and I do not have that.
I am completing a 3-year Bachelor's Degree at an Indian University this July and am considering to transfer to a University in the US and later on learning to fly. What do you people out there suggest?
Like most of you, I do not want to get into much debt before starting flight school.
Thanks! :))
Also, it would be interesting to know if there is anyone who are in or have been in a similar situation as mine! Do message me on this forum if you'd like to!
And also, thanks to @MsHighAltitude and @Siris for answering my questions!