What's new

GI BILL

Bradley965

Has anyone used the Montgomery or Post 9/11 GI Bill for flight school? I understand you need your private pilots license first. But what after that? How much do we end up paying out of pocket?

Shockster

It depends how much you qualify for.

For instance I’m in the National Guard for 5 years now, only active time other than training has been for COVID. With 90days active for a deployment, emergency, etc you’re eligible for 40% of the max $13,986.72 /yr for a part 141 school. With more active duty time you may qualify for up to a 100% of that.

like you said you need a PPL first but also will need a 1st/2nd class medical as well.

If you go through a university then the yearly max is higher around $24,000 I think.

There are some costs they do not cover though like books and supplies (Gleim/Jeppesen) Kits.

Here’s a link to find out your eligibility and more info.

804Hokie

My instructor was a USAF Mechanic, and he used his to further his aviation career after he ETS’d. When he’s not teaching, he sprays/cropdusts for the many farms in this area.

In hindsight, I wish I branched Aviation instead of Engineers (ARNG). I’m just getting going on my flight education, but I’ll try to get some specifics on how my instructor used his earned benefits.

Rochopn

They changed the rule in 2016 to make the applicant pay for the PPL. To many people we staying in a program for a long while and alot of flight schools were overcharging. That's the on the grapevine.

They changed the rule in 2016 to make the applicant pay for the PPL. To many people we staying in a program for a long while and alot of flight schools were overcharging. That's the on the grapevine.
Makes sense. I still think there's an irony to the green weenie still getting you even after you're out. :LOL:

Rochopn

Yup, theres always a catch. Just make sure you go through a college for your training. I took extra classes so I got the housing allowance too. I have my PPL, CPL, IFR, Multi and CFI certs. Totaled about $65K to $70K. I paid 11K of it(for PPL). Just to give you an idea of the cost. Obviously it could be more or less depending on the school and yourself. The GI Bill.is a great thing to have. If you use all your benefits you get your 1200 bucks back.