What's new

Getting your type rating

Rabuly

Hey 74crew.

So I've been hearing two versions of the story. One of them is, when you make it to an airline, it pays for your type rating on the airplane you're assigned to fly on the condition that you stay X number of years with them. The other one is that you first have to get the TR on your own and then apply for the airline that flies that aircraft.

The question is, how does that really work? Is that another expense that I have to add to pilot training? I am concerned specially in Europe (Spain), but I guess it won't differ too much from other countries.

Thanks for the help.

Aerotrinamic

I think Spain and Europe often require you to pay for your type rating. But many airlines also want you to have 500 hours in type, which is a catch 22 because how are you gonna get those hours?.

Aerotrinamic

I don't know man Europe didn't work for me. A lot of it is right place right time stuff and knowing the right people. Maybe someone who made it in Europe can chime in

Hey 74crew.

So I've been hearing two versions of the story. One of them is, when you make it to an airline, it pays for your type rating on the airplane you're assigned to fly on the condition that you stay X number of years with them. The other one is that you first have to get the TR on your own and then apply for the airline that flies that aircraft.

The question is, how does that really work? Is that another expense that I have to add to pilot training? I am concerned specially in Europe (Spain), but I guess it won't differ too much from other countries.

Thanks for the help.
Hello.

i’m writing from Mexico (quite a different story, we usually get hired by a major airline with around 250-500 total) and then get all ratings paid by them. That is how I got hired in Aeromexico.

I have some friends from Germany, France and Britain that got hired as cadets by their national airlines.I don’t know if Iberia is doing the same thing. So far, the only airline I’m aware that you pay to fly for is Ryanair. What I would do, being in the EU is to try something in Eastern Europe.

Buena suerte, saludos desde México.

Siris

In the US every airline pilot I know was trained and type rated by their company or at least the company paid for them.

Zeede

Well I mean, realistically, how on earth are you going to get a type rating for a 737 otherwise? I wonder what the wet rental rate is on one of those suckers! :D

MsHighAltitude

Well I mean, realistically, how on earth are you going to get a type rating for a 737 otherwise? I wonder what the wet rental rate is on one of those suckers! :D
I wonder if you learn all the stuff beforehand and go fly the sim at the Delta museum, would they sign your logbook? $425 per hour, split between two pilots... not too bad?

Siris

I'll ask my father next time. One of the guys he worked with at Midway was also part of the first midway airlines and paid to fuel a 737 to rescue all the pilots that got stranded by the airline sinking.