Flights Schools - GTA

mfreak

I have seen a lot of flight schools in and around GTA namely:

- Brampton Flight Center
- Island Air
- Durham Flight Center
- Canadian Flyers
- Canadian Flight Academy

Any views on which of these is good - pros and cons? I live downtown Toronto so am assuming Id have to travel to many of these regardless.

Are there any other schools in and around the GTA?

haxhis

Hi, I fly with Island air now. They are a good school, my instructor Maksym is great. Nice place to fly out of for sure and the planes are 172, 150, 152. if you live downtown its perfect because its right off the island but I dont know if they are taking new students on right now because of covid.

mfreak

Hi, I fly with Island air now. They are a good school, my instructor Maksym is great. Nice place to fly out of for sure and the planes are 172, 150, 152. if you live downtown its perfect because its right off the island but I dont know if they are taking new students on right now because of covid.
Thanks haxhis. Actually I have been considering Island Air or Brampton Flight Centre. Did you have to pay the entire fees upfront or do you pay as you go? Also, how much did it cost you total for a PPL? (realistic, not the one on their website). BTW do you have any experience dealing with the other flight schools in the GTA?

Zeede

Okay, Greater Toronto Area, not Grand Theft Auto. :D

It's been decades since I've been to Toronto, cruising down the QEW. Is Pacific Mall still there? (and still super Cantonese?)

haxhis

Okay, Greater Toronto Area, not Grand Theft Auto. :D

It's been decades since I've been to Toronto, cruising down the QEW. Is Pacific Mall still there? (and still super Cantonese?)
Aha yea pacific mall is still super Cantonese but the police have cracked down on counterfeiting over there. The cruise down the QEW to billy bishop in the morning is pretty spectacular as well great feeling before a flight.

haxhis

Thanks haxhis. Actually I have been considering Island Air or Brampton Flight Centre. Did you have to pay the entire fees upfront or do you pay as you go? Also, how much did it cost you total for a PPL? (realistic, not the one on their website). BTW do you have any experience dealing with the other flight schools in the GTA?
I pay as I go not all upfront. I did the ground school with them but also used Harv's air online school to actually pass my written exam. Im about $17,000 in cash and at 65 hours (took me a little longer than expected to get those landings buttery LOL) They also have an online booking system for the planes and instructors so its a pretty efficient set up. only thing that sucks about here is the weather is terrible in the winter in terms of ceilings but not much you can do about that. I highly recommend island air personally, had a great time with them.