What's new

Flight Simulation to prepare for PPL.

VZ626

Hello,

Up until about 2 months ago, I played fight sims as a game, because I couldn't be a pilot. Now, I recently learned that I can. I am in a program called CAP, and I can get my licence through CAP for cheaper. I cannot really do any flight lessons until I am 16. One of the flight instructors told me to practice by playing flight sim realistically. If I invest in a good yoke, throttle, and rudder pedals, will it make enough difference when it comes to actually flying? And also, should I buy a payware Cessna 172, or use the default one?

Thanks

s_p_s

well done! congratulations. Probably it will help you a bit, you can follow the procedures, practice your flows, fly a bit, and specially enjoy! In my particular case, I never found the hand flying in the FSX close to the real aircraft, even I have the yoke, peddals and everything. Probably xplane11 or the new FS2020 are much better than FSX.
Even flying it's the most amazing part of being a Pilot, I recommend you to start studing Principle of Flight, Navigation, Meteorology and other related subjects, Theoretical knowledge it's one of the most important aspects of being a good professional pilot and will help you on the practical stage as well. I guarantee it!

Mr.Plop

Yes and no, if you don't have access to a buddy instructor that would show you a thing or two the first time, go on youtube and subscribe to actual GA aviation channels, there are a few good ones. Simulators, especially home ones have a terrible tendency to give you bad habits (ex. you'll stay fixated on the instruments too much). Download a checklist for a 172 and a POH (they're free), also start reading the Pilot Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge (also free). Do not bother practicing landings, it's nothing like it, everything else is fine.

Jbalbuena2005

Hello,

Up until about 2 months ago, I played fight sims as a game, because I couldn't be a pilot. Now, I recently learned that I can. I am in a program called CAP, and I can get my licence through CAP for cheaper. I cannot really do any flight lessons until I am 16. One of the flight instructors told me to practice by playing flight sim realistically. If I invest in a good yoke, throttle, and rudder pedals, will it make enough difference when it comes to actually flying? And also, should I buy a payware Cessna 172, or use the default one?

Thanks
Hmm it’s improtant to not get too caught up with Sims and think it’s real Life they are very different things. Don’t go out they and waste 800$ on a good yoke/throttle/rudder for a realistic setup I’d reccomend saving that money for future training. If money isn’t an issue then go crazy my friend

About47Pandas

Hmm it’s improtant to not get too caught up with Sims and think it’s real Life they are very different things. Don’t go out they and waste 800$ on a good yoke/throttle/rudder for a realistic setup I’d reccomend saving that money for future training. If money isn’t an issue then go crazy my friend
This--- I might agree differently though. I do a lot of sims. Between Flight sims and racing sims etc. In racing sims, I can drift, do the whole nine, -- Can't do it in real life. the actual feeling behind the wheel of a car is vastly different. Can someone learn to drive a car in a sim-- 100 percent sure, but to know there is a difference between behind the wheel of a car and a monitor-- is pretty great.

A sim won't account for a lot of things, there won't be a rando gust of wind in a flight sim much like there probably won't be a random rock in a driving sim... How you can handle those nuances really curtails on your ability to operate that vehicle if you've only done it in a sim. I think if you put 1000 hours in a flight sim for a single aircraft then you went to flight school, it just puts you ahead of the curve, You'd basically know all the numbers and parameters--- you'd just need to apply it to the actual craft when flying.

WING

Hello,

Thanks
I would suggest that while the flight sim could be quite useful for your procedural training / general cockpit familiarization / ATC communication practice (only if you are participating on VATSIM), the flight characteristics (or the 'feel') and the visual cues (even for MSFS2020) are no where close to the real life.

Hello,

Thanks
You can also ask Peter Forman, at forman@fapa.aero, a retired TWA pilot who's an expert on flight sims. Like Kelsey, he mentors aspiring aviators. That website has a lot of info. that helps anyone interested in aviation.