What's new

Aviation and the Pandemic - Should I Even Start?

cactus

Hi, forum-goers!

Since I was in third grade I have always wanted to become an airline pilot. I am now 16 years old, which means I need to start thinking about what I want to do with my life in realistic terms. Thanks to the pandemic, I know that new jobs are basically becoming non-existent, and a great portion of people who work in this industry are being furloughed. This brings me to think about myself. Is it really wise to go into aviation training and pursue one of the things that I have always wanted since I was in grade school? Or do you guys think it would be wise to not go into aviation? I do realize that this pandemic is only a matter of a couple of years at most, but how is this going to affect travel? Are people going to want to get out anymore? Will this lead to no more pilot shortage due to lower possible demand after the pandemic?

Aviation will recover at some point.
And it is essential to our globalized world.
There are so many positive and negative aspects right now, but in short, the industry will struggle for a few years. Many many pilots will be jobless. So that’s kind of a bleak outlook.
But then think again, a lot of pilots who were planning to retire in the next few years (and that’s a lot) will most likely never get their foot in the door again, or choose to retire right away. This is quite sad of course, but gives a bit of breathing room for the younglings I imagine.

CValery22

Hi, forum-goers!

Since I was in third grade I have always wanted to become an airline pilot. I am now 16 years old, which means I need to start thinking about what I want to do with my life in realistic terms. Thanks to the pandemic, I know that new jobs are basically becoming non-existent, and a great portion of people who work in this industry are being furloughed. This brings me to think about myself. Is it really wise to go into aviation training and pursue one of the things that I have always wanted since I was in grade school? Or do you guys think it would be wise to not go into aviation? I do realize that this pandemic is only a matter of a couple of years at most, but how is this going to affect travel? Are people going to want to get out anymore? Will this lead to no more pilot shortage due to lower possible demand after the pandemic?
Had exactly the same question in mind after watching the new video from Kelsy. I recently started to do some research into getting my private pilot license and I encountered different point of views. At the moment there is just a lot of things happening and there isn't a conclusive answer for any of this. Pilots are essential and that's something on our favor if choosing to continue the training. But I'm still looking forward if there is going to be a lower demand after all of this is happening.

74Gear

Administrator
Staff member
Had exactly the same question in mind after watching the new video from Kelsy. I recently started to do some research into getting my private pilot license and I encountered different point of views. At the moment there is just a lot of things happening and there isn't a conclusive answer for any of this. Pilots are essential and that's something on our favor if choosing to continue the training. But I'm still looking forward if there is going to be a lower demand after all of this is happening.
aviation goes through these ups and downs, after 9/11 people had the same feeling, like will flying ever be the same, its sadly part of the cycle and on the way down its just a terrible feeling for a lot of people

s_p_s

Hi, aviation is up and down all the time. Different economic cycles, people loosing jobs and finding new ones, and this is part of the life. But with 16 yo don't waste your time doing something you don't like, go for it and you will have nice future ahead in aviation industry if you work hard and with professionalism. This is a temporary situation, don't take decisions only based in the actual situation, it will recover in the next 2-3 years, and then in the next 10 years we will have a hard crisis again and hopefully we will go through it again. Good luck!

Swinden

Hi, forum-goers!

At 16 you are currently in the "right" position. As noted there will be high points and low points. One suggestion is to make sure you have a "Plan B" or even a "Plan C". I would suggest is to go to college and either pick an aviation oriented major and learn to fly in college or you can try for the military...etc. There are many avenues available to you at this point. But the top one I would say is to get a college level degree....

BusDriver

Cactus, the answer is yes, let me tell you why... we are actually facing the worst aviation crisis ever, but it will not last forever. Airlines are shrinking, but air travel will slowly increase, that will give time for you to train and become a good commercial pilot.
Historically, after an airline industry slow down, the industry itself recovers and reach even higher peaks, so the demand for pilots will rise (slowly or not)... on the other hand, thousands of senior airline pilots on their 60’s, have chose to retire, even though they still had some 5 or 4 years left for flying, they opted to hang their gloves... that also creates opportunities to fullfill their positions.
This is a good moment to start your career, you have plenty of time to prepare, study hard and be ready for a recovered industry.
Go ahead my friend, the sky is the limit.

Hi, forum-goers!

I'm in the same boat but I think by the time we'll be looking for jobs the pandemic will be over and regional airlines will start hiring again.

Hi, forum-goers!

This is why it is important to get a Bachelor's degree in something other than aviation. If you do your research on which majors will give you a job, you will have something to fall back on to pay the bills.

I would get into it and stick with it. Everyone I have talked to who has been through events like this all say the same, "those that stick with it come out ahead at the end" and when the jobs come back that experience you kept building is going to matter. My hope is I'll be able to get into one of the majors finally when all of this is over.

Canuck

Good for you to start figuring out what you want to do at 16 years old. I didn't get into flying until my mid to late 20s and I wish I had started sooner.

I think one difficult part of starting your flight training now is a number of flight schools, atleast in Canada anyway, are closed or operating on reduced staff right now. You may wish to acquire a decent paying job and rent an airplane to get going on your PIC and cross country flying as those hours will matter when it comes to your ATP. I didn't focus on those hours in my early years and I am paying for it now by renting an airplane on my off time to get the required hours for the ATP.

Do your best to set yourself up now for when the bounce back occurs and you will already have a foot in the door ahead of other folks who waited.