What's new

As anyone here a 737 pilot?

Zeede

Hi VZ626, welcome to the forums! I'm not a 737 pilot, but if you were to post your questions, folks might be able to help!

VZ626

Alright, here I go. What is a cost index? What altitude do you turn the lights off at in the 737? Do you use your HUD a lot? Have you ever flown into Minneapolis? Does the autopilot still control the speed on a visual approach? After startup, should the isolation valve be at auto or open? At what percent N1 do you introduce fuel? What dings mean what to signal flight attendants? When giving the FMC an IRS position, do you use the last position or take one from the gps?

Alright, here I go. What is a cost index? What altitude do you turn the lights off at in the 737? Do you use your HUD a lot? Have you ever flown into Minneapolis? Does the autopilot still control the speed on a visual approach? After startup, should the isolation valve be at auto or open? At what percent N1 do you introduce fuel? What dings mean what to signal flight attendants? When giving the FMC an IRS position, do you use the last position or take one from the gps?
OK.

I don‘t fly currently 737s but I know how some things work out since my airline flies them too.

-Cost Index: Each airline determines best cost index according to fuel saving and best economical cruise speed. Here is a Boeing definition “The CI is the ratio of the time-related cost of an airplane operation and the cost of fuel. The value of the CI reflects the relative effects of fuel cost on overall trip cost as compared to time-related direct operating costs.” In the E190 which I currently fly, cost index is Mach .76 cruise. While we can cruise at .82, for better fuel economy, my airline has established .76 and in our flight plans, it is so calculated.

-Lights. Most transport aircraft require lights to be turned off and on at 10,000 ft. Boeing requires so in the SOP and most airlines SOPs too.

-HUD. in my airline (Aeromexico) we have no HUDs installed in narrowbodies. However HUDs are used always in the 787s. Even n good weather. It depends on company’s needs and SOPs.

-Minneapolis. No. i have never landed there.

-Autopilot. Yes, even in a visual if you have autopilot and autothrottle engaged. Howver you should always be aware of selected vertical modes. In Speed Intervention mode you can adjust the speed even if a vertical mode is selected too (like VNAV PATH or a coupled approach) but not all aircraft MCPs have this feature. be aware too that LVL CHNG is limited to a certain altitude and never used on final approach. You can also use V/S but you must be aware that it will always keep a constant descent rate in lieu of speed. However, best thing to do in a visual is to hand fly the approach and disconnect the A/T . In my airline 737 SOPs A/T should be disconnected at minimums regardless of the approach but there is no restriction for disconnecting above as long as approach is stabilized.

In the E-190 we have slightly different modes; there is the usual FLCH (not recommended in finals), V/S that we seldom use, PATH (VNAV)GP and FPA. Best one for visuals is FPA since it keeps the aircraft in a continuous flight path while descending to minimums without sending the throttles to IDLE which should never be done in final approach. GP allows the VNAV system to be used as an ILS all the way down to minimums but according to our SOPs it should never be used when visibility is low. Otherwise GP is mandatory in all non precision approaches, except for visuals. However although we can disconnect the Autothrottle, SOP recommends it using all over touchdown and be disengaged by the LSP during rollout.

Just not to overload you with information: even if you are hand flying, if you have A/T engaged and an MCP speed manually set, the aircraft will keep it. However at minimums and after A/T disengagement, you control even the speed with the throttles as in any other aircraft.

-Isolation Valve: well, I‘m navigating in murky waters. The logic in the E-190 works different (it is fully automatic) and unless required by QRH, no crew interaction is needed in that panel. However, as far as I remember, the isolation valve should be left in AUTO after engine start, unless required by any special procedure or QRH list.

-Engine start- it is applied around 20-25% of N2. (E-190 does it automatically at 22%) and EGTs should be rising in 10 seconds.

-Flight attendant signals. It also depends on airline. In mine we usually have on ding after 10,000 ft on climb, another ding for starting descent, another one at transition level and an oral warning at 10,000 ft (sterile cockpit light also has a chine).

-IRS. Usually it is done with last position. The 737 also allows a quick alignment but I don’t remember how it is done!!!!

sorry about the last one!!!!

hope this helps

Siris

Lot of these answers will also depend on version of the 737 too. I'm assuming you're talking about the more recent variants like the 800 and the max though

Lot of these answers will also depend on version of the 737 too. I'm assuming you're talking about the more recent variants like the 800 and the max though
That’s right. They are the only ones I’m familiar with. I don’t know a lot about classics, except that they have VNAV too.

Actually no all Aeromexico’s 737 have the Speed Intervention mode in the MCP, but as older ones are retired, it is becoming more common.

Airzim

I am a 737 captain at large(st) 737 operator

What is a cost index? Answered by VZ626

Some of the answers to the following depend on the model

What altitude do you turn the lights off at in the 737? Company policy. Retractable Landing lights (if installed) and taxi light are turned off after flaps are fully retracted. Remaining lights at FL180. Strobes and position lights remain on. Some newer NG models and MAX do not have retractable landing lights, so turning those off at flap retraction is not applicable.

Do you use your HUD a lot? Its up to the captain. Some use it all the time. They tend to call themselves "HUD cripples," meaning they are so used to using it that they struggle to fly without it. Some not unless its required. Personally, I find it distracting a lot of the time, and it can make it hard to spot traffic out in front of you. We are required to complete one HGS (heads up guidance system) takeoff and landing every 90 days to remain current. It must be used for low visibility takeoffs below 500 RVR (the procedure must be authorized for our use at the particular airport). It must be used for CAT II and CAT III approaches, as well as "Special Authorization CAT I" approaches, which require its use on the approach plate. The procedure is to use Primary mode for takeoffs. IMC mode for CAT I and II approaches. AIII mode for CAT III approaches. The autopilot and autothrottles are turned off outside the final approach fix and the approach is hand flown manually to landing with the HUD. Yes, it does offer tailstrike guidance on takeoff, and while that sounds useful, I don't know of anyone who actually uses the HUD routinely for that purpose. That, however, doesn't mean some extremely nervous pilots don't use it for that. There are a lot of things that Boeing and avionics engineers think will be useful to pilots but aren't.

Have you ever flown into Minneapolis? Yes. A lot.

Does the autopilot still control the speed on a visual approach? If the autopilot is on, the autothrottles may be used. Our company has a limitation that autothrottles are required to be fully disconnected anytime the autopilot is disengaged. The only time we fly manually with the autothrottles engaged is on takeoff. However, I have flown the 737 at another company, and the autothrottles would remain engaged through landing there, even when being hand flown. But you fly how your company and regulating authority tell you to.

After startup, should the isolation valve be at auto or open? Auto

At what percent N2 do you introduce fuel? Generally speaking, 25%. In the MAX, It also requires the extended motoring time to be completed. It has to do with the shaft flexing.

What dings mean what to signal flight attendants? As VZ626 said, depends on company policies

When giving the FMC an IRS position, do you use the last position or take one from the gps? Either take one from the GPS, or input airport and gate/stand location.