What's new

Any Fellow Dispatchers on this Forum?

fsxflyhigh

What got you all into the job of flight dispatch? I always find it interesting to hear how different people found their way into this job. Plenty of kids aspire to be pilots, but not dispatch. I currently work with a regional airline in the US. My background is in meteorology and worked one semester as a meteorology intern with a major US airline. I really enjoyed working in the Operation Center and saw flight dispatch as the best way to stay in aviation while still using my fancy degree.

FlyerGirl

I have a dispatch license, but have not used it. My job used to limit our web usage to airline/aviation websites. With 5-10 min between calls I had time to look up lots of things. Dispatcher looked interesting. SallyMae gave me a loan and I arranged to be off for the 6 week class. So much fun! It helped my husband is a mechanic and I could ask him questions or more details on something.
I passed and obtained my license. September 11th happened a few days later. Decided to keep my current job and not search for a new job. Middle seniority is better than at the bottom somewhere else. Still at the same job and things are OK.

TL;DR: Read about dispatch online, obtained a license, but never used it.

kc0865

Yes, I've been dispatching for 10 years with major airline. I've been in aviation for 34 years working in various departments before landing in Dispatch.
It is a very rewarding career, one that took me a while to get to, but that is where I wanted to be almost from the beginning.
I've always liked working operations in the background.

oddtom

I recently got a Dispatch license too, but I don't have any leads on employment.

I worked the ramp to supplement self employment in web development then got promoted to Ops Agent. I ended up talking with a dispatcher for Skywest on a slow night who was just calling in to confirm that we could be used as an alternate. I asked what a dispatcher was, if he liked it, and how one became a dispatcher, and here we are today.

I still work the ramp, but I'm dispatch certified and I came here looking for any leads on job opportunities. Good to see there are others, even if it's only four :)

Brystar41

While I am not a Dispatch (Flight Operations Officer) yet, I am interested in it because that could be my ticket in getting more involved in Aviation and getting me to Embry-Riddle to be in Aeronautics so I can go for NASA, FAA, NOAA and so forth.

Since I cannot be a pilot at the current times because its too expensive for me right now, but Dispatch is a great idea, plus I am passionate of Aviation as well.

Another thing is that my college (Miami Dade College) offers the course but unfortunately they said that it could be delayed because of what is going on, so that bums me out and I found it to be quite affordable compared to lets say ATP which costs much more then what Miami Dade College costs.

Mr.Plop

While I am not a Dispatch (Flight Operations Officer) yet, I am interested in it because that could be my ticket in getting more involved in Aviation and getting me to Embry-Riddle to be in Aeronautics so I can go for NASA, FAA, NOAA and so forth.

Since I cannot be a pilot at the current times because its too expensive for me right now, but Dispatch is a great idea, plus I am passionate of Aviation as well.

Another thing is that my college (Miami Dade College) offers the course but unfortunately they said that it could be delayed because of what is going on, so that bums me out and I found it to be quite affordable compared to lets say ATP which costs much more then what Miami Dade College costs.
MDC used to teach that a ridiculous cheap price. It was 4 days a weeks course. How I wish I would've taken it :(

Brystar41

MDC used to teach that a ridiculous cheap price. It was 4 days a weeks course. How I wish I would've taken it :(
They still do, I checked the Website they have it, the thing is that the professor told me it was being delayed probably till Spring 2021 due to what is going on. But I am remaining hopeful of it, I am still checking to see when it opens and still in talks with the professor.

I do want to take it, I am very eager of it, but now i am scrambling for other options on what I can do in the meanwhile, If I can work in Aviation to get more experience in the Meanwhile that way I can wait till the Dispatch option opens up again even with my Bachelor's degree.

Its still very cheap but the MDC dispatch course doesn't pay for the exams that is separate and a different cost but still I love that option.

Brystar41

I do want to add even with the Dispatcher License (Once I do get it) I still want to go for the Masters in Aeronautics I still want to get there but I am having trouble with Finances so hmm?

Brystar41

An update to this thread, Good news I graduated from my Bachelor's Degree in MDC and I am already enrolled to start my FAA Flight Dispatch course in February at my Local College of Miami Dade College, I am excited because this is my entry to my future, Retail is not my future, Aeronautics is my future along with Traveling, publishing my stories, Trip Reports and more.

Also I do want to specialize in a career path for me and I want it to be in Aviation/ Aeronautics so to me this was a perfect opportunity to start my future and maybe later on I can go to Embry-Riddle getting my Masters of Aeronautics in the future. But at the present time getting an FAA License is amazing and hopefully I can go work for the FAA as well and be more involved in Air Show events like Sun N Fun, Oshkosh AirVenture and more.

Last edited:

Zeede

An update to this thread, Good news I graduated from my Bachelor's Degree in MDC and I am already enrolled to start my FAA Flight Dispatch course in February at my Local College of Miami Dade College, I am excited because this is my entry to my future, Retail is not my future, Aeronautics is my future along with Traveling, publishing my stories, Trip Reports and more.

Also I do want to specialize in a career path for me and I want it to be in Aviation/ Aeronautics so to me this was a perfect opportunity to start my future and maybe later on I can go to Embry-Riddle getting my Masters of Aeronautics in the future. But at the present time getting an FAA License is amazing and hopefully I can go work for the FAA as well and be more involved in Air Show events like Sun N Fun, Oshkosh AirVenture and more.
Congrats on graduating!

Mr.Plop

How is this class being offered this semester and what campus?

Brystar41

How is this class being offered this semester and what campus?
I saw it in the Continuing education section of MDC and I am already enrolled and the professor said that it would be either at Miami International Airport (MIA) or at Kendall-Taimiami Airport (TMB), But gosh darn I am so happy for this, Its my ticket to enter the Industry with my degrees, experiences, resumes and so forth it will help me get there with the FAA, to go with my future. I am so sick and tired of Retail, my future is not with them, its with Aeronautics, I want to be involved with Aircrafts, Airports and such everyday.

Brystar41

Congrats on graduating!
Thank you kindly it wasn't easy but it was forth it,Took me three years to get my Bachelors degree but It was possible, even though its a BAS Degree I can apply it to Aviation as well which makes me happy I am getting closer in entering Aeronautics and being involved with Aviation as whole, my heart and my future.

Brystar41

Wanted to update again! I start my training next week I am excited my future is finally going to start. I can't wait to be around Airports, Airplanes, Aeronautics and so forth as my life career.

My ticket to my future is here!

Brystar41

Sadly an update I have to say I don't know If I am going to be able to take this course at all it seems there wasn't much enrollment of it and I am feeling very depressed of it, Darn I wanted my future to start I really do, I graduated But it seems it could be delayed or cancelled I don't know what to do?

Zeede

Call around if see if it is being offered anywhere else. Florida is chock full of airports, so while it might mean that you have to drive a bit further, that's better than giving up on your dream, right?

Brystar41

Call around if see if it is being offered anywhere else. Florida is chock full of airports, so while it might mean that you have to drive a bit further, that's better than giving up on your dream, right?
Your right I am trying to do that, I am going to see what I can do in the meanwhile If I am going to take a sort of mini course or something to pass the time in the meanwhile it does return which I know it will.

Plus the Program Manager of the Course told me she will extend it for three weeks but I don't know if it will happen or not, but in all ways I am going to try something either look at other schools or wait for it to come back.

I have this feeling that Aviation will be back in full force eventually, I know we will recover from this nightmare.

Mr.Plop

Sadly an update I have to say I don't know If I am going to be able to take this course at all it seems there wasn't much enrollment of it and I am feeling very depressed of it, Darn I wanted my future to start I really do, I graduated But it seems it could be delayed or cancelled I don't know what to do?
I would've taken it if I knew it was available, mind asking how much is it? They offered it for $2,500 last time I think.

Brystar41

I have an idea please hear me out, I am sorry if this is a shameless Plug but its an important, This is for the South Florida area. My name is Bryant I am a College Graduate of Miami Dade College and if you ever wanted to get an FAA License that is super affordable and looks amazing in your resume along with your college credits and transcript there is the Continuing education of FAA Flight Dispatcher, now I said that it wasn't going to be possible but the Program Manager decided to extend the course to start on February 23 2021, Please if you or anybody are interested in getting an FAA License, or a refresher course to get the FAA Flight Dispatch course, this is your opportunity to make a difference in these weird times. I want to start a Rally to get people into this program since the College has delayed the course this is an opportunity to join.

I for one want to have a future, I want to succeed I don't want anything to stop me for going with my plans please I am sorry about this but If anybody wants to join,and come with me to attend this course please let me know ASAP because if there is not a sufficient amount of college Students than the course could be cancelled thus delaying not just my future but anybody's future.

I want to make a difference I am sure you can too, Please I humbly ask please spread the word tell your colleagues that are in South Florida, its much cheaper than the normal way and its just a few months and than to take the FAA Exam, The tests are separate, but the course is super important.