What's new

737 MAX coming back?

Boeing has this up at its site:

Boeing has made significant progress over the past several months in support of safely returning the 737 MAX to service as the company continues to work with the FAA and other global regulators on the process laid out for certifying the 737 MAX software and related training updates. The company has also made significant governance and operational changes to further sharpen its focus. These two tragic accidents continue to weigh heavily on everyone at Boeing. We have established a $100 million relief fund to meet family and community needs of those affected by these accidents.
Safety. Quality. Integrity.

Committed to continuously driving safety across the aviation ecosystem.

Also:

As the FAA finalizes the 737 MAX’s return, is Boeing’s jet now safe?
A Boeing 737 MAX-7 lands at Boeing Field in Seattle after a test flight in June. After 18 months of grounding, the 737 MAX may finally fly passengers again. (Mike Siegel / The Seattle Times)

A Boeing 737 MAX-7 lands at Boeing Field in Seattle after a test flight in June. After 18 months of grounding, the 737 MAX may finally fly passengers again. (Mike Siegel / The Seattle Times)
Shrouded by the collapse of the airliner business, Boeing has one glimmer of a silver lining left for 2020: The 737 MAX may finally fly passengers again. But the jet's expected return won't end debates about whether planned fixes are sufficient for safety.

Xanatos

Administrator
Staff member
I would probably be skeptical about the viability of such aircraft, especially in the court of public opinion. Passengers and crew may not be interested in flying on such an aircraft. There's being superstitious and then there is just not pressing your luck by tempting fate. Interesting though.

FlightTales

I'm personally of the opinion that once the MAX gets going again it will be extremely safe. Boeing simply cannot afford to have another one go down, so the intense level of scrutiny this platform has been under so far and will continue to be will make it one of the safest aircraft out there. Now, convincing those first few passengers of this may be a whole other story lol

Xanatos

Administrator
Staff member
I would think the name alone is evidence enough of it being untrustworthy, "737 MAX", in most consumer eyes. Boeing should have tried a re-marketing campaign or re-branding but then that would look like a cover-up I suppose. I, generally, do not trust that the issue is fixed and will schedule any flights, whenever/if-ever we get back from COVID-19, around not being on that plane.

I would think the name alone is evidence enough of it being untrustworthy, "737 MAX", in most consumer eyes. Boeing should have tried a re-marketing campaign or re-branding but then that would look like a cover-up I suppose. I, generally, do not trust that the issue is fixed and will schedule any flights, whenever/if-ever we get back from COVID-19, around not being on that plane.
Yes, and I believe that the less adventurous folk will stay on planes they trust, which is fine. Also, I think that the 737 MAX was nothing more than a dressed up 737, with few modifications.